Sunday, March 9, 2014

Sunday Stamps # 161

Good morning Sunday Stampers, from an ailing Viridian.  I seem to have a cold that is not going away.  Therefore I took to bed last night and slept, completely forgetting about Sunday Stamps.

So let's get going this Sunday AM.  Our theme this week is Women on Stamps, as March is Women's History Month in several countries.  I am also noting that March 8 was Woman's Day, do I have that right?  So here is a new stamp issued by the US Postal Service:


From Wikipedia:
Shirley Anita St. Hill Chisholm (November 30, 1924 – January 1, 2005) was an American politician, educator, and author.[3] She was a Congresswoman, representing New York's 12th Congressional District for seven terms from 1969 to 1983. In 1968, she became the first African-American woman elected to Congress.[4] On January 25, 1972, she became the first major-party black candidate for President of the United States and the first woman to run for the Democratic presidential nomination (US Senator Margaret Chase Smith had previously run for the 1964 Republican presidential nomination).[4] She received 152 first-ballot votes at the 1972 Democratic National Convention.

There is more info at the Wiki link.  In the meantime, I must get this posted!

Theme next week: Letters, postcards, and the post.
Theme two weeks from now: farms and farm animals.

Viridian

6 comments:

Heleen said...

I like that stamp a lot. I didn't know about Shirley Chrisholm, I think she's a great role model. Thank you for sharing!

Joy said...

She has a very determined expression but then she would need to be. The black heritage theme is an interesting series.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

I hope one of these will turn up on a card for me before too long.

Mail Adventures said...

Thanks for tposting this stamp and the information.

Little Nell said...

Back again with some lovely ladies. I’ve enjoyed learning about all these amazing women as well as seeing the stamps.

Postcardy said...

Hope you are feeling better. I felt like I was getting a cold when I got up this morning, but it must have been an allergy because it didn't last.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails