Friday, February 25, 2011

Postcard Friendship Friday - postcard sent to Suicide Corner


A linen card titled D.C. 152 - Flamingo Hotel, Miami Beach, Fla.

Appropriately pink, this hotel has a boat dock but not a beach in front of it.  Given the snow and ice here in the midwest, I'd happily stay in the Flamingo and walk to the beach.
Postmarked Jan.16 1948, and addressed to Mr and Mrs Julian Robin and family, Suicide Corner, Sanford Rd. No. Westport, Mass.  Yes, really.

Message:
"Hollywood, Fla.  Staying in this town.  Quite a place.  Gets hot in the daytime but you freeze at night.  No Oldsmobiles down here only Chevrolets, Clint."

An intriguing message to be sure!

Thank you Beth for hosting Postcard Friendship Friday!
Remember: My meme Sunday Stamps opens again late Saturday night (USA time).
Theme this week: stamps from the internet age: Zazzle-style stamps (see http://dorincard.blogspot.com/ ), or featuring computers. Or anything you wish.
Viridian

7 comments:

Snap said...

I think if I lived in Suicide I'd be running to Miami, too! Lovely linen card. Happy PFF!

Bob Scotney said...

When I had a flat in Stavanger, Norway a rep from an oil firm supplier gave me a small knife - so I could cut my throat if I had to stay there at a weekend. It is a interesting juxtaposition - Friendship Friday and Suicide Corner.

Good card though.

Postcardy said...

I wonder if Suicide Corner was the official name.

MuseSwings said...

I had to check that suicide corner out! There is a cemetery there. possibly one of the corners is set aside for suicides - thus the name.

We have lots of pink hotels in Florida. They would look pretty out of place in the northern states.

Joy said...

There looks to be nice gardens surrounding it. If its cold at night, no swinging the windows open to look at the view.

Tete said...

Now that sure is different.
Tete

Aimee Dars said...

Lovely scene!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails